Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
For every pet food premix, multiple lab tests provide an abundance of data, which adds up fast. To manage and organize this data, Trouw Nutrition employs a unique laboratory information management system (LIMS), named Lab RetrieverTM.
Lab Retriever provides a central location for all applicable data, as well as enables sophisticated data analysis to:
- Ensure analysis consistency
- Share data across locations
- Identify methods for improving lab efficiencies, such as integrating Lab Retriever with other digital systems
- Increase automation of processes, thereby reducing the risk of human error
- Run trend analysis of ingredients, such as reviewing analysis results for consistency, Out of Specifications (OOSs), statistical prediction of normal variances (upper and lower limits) and consistency of variant ranges
Unlike other quality control systems that are typically managed by just the Quality Control team, our digital systems, connected with Lab Retriever, go beyond simple data management and involve the production team as well. Trouw Nutrition’s warehouse team, for example, can enter ingredient Certificate of Analysis information into the system.
In the rare event of a recall or if an analyte is out of specification, our quality control systems can provide analysis results, showing what parameter of the product varied, by how much and the specification. With an integrated inventory system, the out of specification ingredient will not be released for use and will automatically and immediately be marked as quarantined. Such audit information and immediate actions are vital for proper recall response and for protecting our beloved pets.